Tuesday, 3 July 2012

DIY How To: Plum Upside Down Cake

Plum Upside Down Cake

Hey there people and Happy Tuesday to you. I hope you have had a good day, wherever in the world you may be.

Today I wanted to share with a baking how to that I originally found via House of Humble (who I am sponsoring at the moment - look!)




I have long been a fan of Katie and Reuben's blog so when they offered sponsorship opportunities it was a total no-brainer: I was sold!! I even created a new ad for the occasion!! I personally am loving the peaches and creamy colour of it. If you'd like one of your very own for your blog check out my buttons page here. I have added both the coral and the greeny/blue ones for you guys to use. Enjoy!! Also, if you'd like to get involved in sponsoring A Cat-Like Curiosity you can check out my ad details here.

Now, onto the how to!! Here are the details for the Plum Upside Down Cake:



Ingredients (Serves 8)

  • 175g butter, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 800g firm blood plums, halved, stones removed
  • 1 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • 3 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup almond meal (ground almonds)
  • 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
  • vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream, to serve


Method

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line base with baking paper.

2. Melt 50g butter. Drizzle evenly over base of pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Place plums, skin side down, in pan to cover base. (See photo above).

3. Using electric beaters, beat remaining 125g butter, caster sugar and vanilla on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

4. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in almond meal and flour. Spoon mixture over plums. Smooth surface.




5. Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a serving plate. Serve with ice-cream.




Extras

I found that my upside down cake took longer than fifty minutes - perhaps this was because I used a deeper tin than the one in the original recipe (which you can find here.) I just kept the faith and waited until the skewer came out clean.

This was gorgeous with ice cream on the day of making but was also scrummy with hot custard in the days afterwards.

This is definitely one of my new favourite recipes!!

Have a great Tuesday night people!!




12 Comments:

Diana said...

Mmmmmh looks so yummy :)

Sarah Evans said...

Thanks Diana!! It most definitely was yummy!!

Sarah

Sasha Fitzgerald said...

Oh my gosh! Looks delicious! I've tried making an upside down pineapple cake before, with canned slices of pineapple, but this looks waaaay yummy-er!! :)

www.lacewinged.com

Turtle Bunny said...

Looks yummy! This is my first time stopping by your blog, and what an amazing banner you have. It is my pleasure to be your 61st follower :)

Sarah Evans said...

It was very yummy tbh.

Thanks for commenting!

Sarah

Sarah Evans said...

Thanks TB!! Glad you like it enough to follow along :)

Sarah

Stephanie said...

Great looking blog! The cat drawing is gorgeous and your cake looks delicious. Xx

Sarah Evans said...

Thanks so much Stephanie! What an excellent comment :)

Sarah

Becky said...

So cool! I've always wanted to make an upside down cake. I'm not too much of a fan of plums, but I really want to try this.

I'm your newest follower via the Welcome Wednesday blog hop and would love a follow back :) Thanks!
--Becky
preppypremed.blogspot.com

Sarah Evans said...

Good to have you here Becky!

I am off to check you out now :)

Sarah

Jill @ Create.Craft.Love. said...

Great job! I love the idea of using plums instead of pineapple! Thanks for sharing at the Pomp Party! Pinning to our Pomp Party board!

Sarah Evans said...

You're welcome - glad you liked it!!

Sarah